June 19-23 is National Take Your Pet to Work Week!
An increasing number of people want to work in a pet-friendly environment, and employers are recognizing the importance of offering pet-oriented benefits to their employees. The presence of pets in the office has been shown to improve psychological well-being and life satisfaction among working adults, in addition to improving productivity and cooperation between employees.
A study conducted by Nationwide in partnership with HABRI further reveals that pet-inclusive workplaces boost recruitment, increase engagement, improve presenteeism, and raise retention rates for employees.
While there is no ‘one-size-fits-all’ approach to welcoming pets in the workplace, introducing pets at work should involve thoughtful planning and a comprehensive framework. The pet care community is leading the way in implementing pet-friendly workplaces and offering guidelines and best practices to ensure pet-friendly policies work for everyone while protecting the health and well-being of all.
While we love to celebrate Take Your Pet to Work Week, there are many ways employers can demonstrate that they care about pets, even if allowing pets at work is not an option. Many pet-inclusive policies, such as offering employees work-from-home flexibility, offering pet health insurance as an employee benefit, and offering veterinary telehealth are important ways to support the human-animal bond.
If you’re interested in what it takes to implement a pet-friendly workplace, read more about what policies have been tested to work for many businesses and organizations:
- Studies show that pets in the workplace are good business
- How to Convince Leadership to Approve a Pet-Friendly Program at Work
- Questions and Answers about Pet-Friendly Workplaces
- Pet friendly companies are more likely to attract, engage and retain employees
- Join the revolution for pet-friendly workplaces
- Benefits of Allowing Pets in Workplaces
- Workplace Wellness is Better With Pets
- Proper Office Dog Etiquette
- Pet Etiquette at the Office Infographic
- 3 Etiquette Rules for Brinzging Pets to Work
- Preparing Pets at Work: Office Checklist
- Dogs at Work Guide
- 7 Tips for Creating a Dog-Friendly Workplace
- Sample Workplace Pet Policy
- Overcoming a No Pets Allowed Policy
- Pets at Work Corporate Policy Template
- Pets in the Workplace White Paper
- Purina Pets at Work Toolkit
- Better Cities for Pets Pets Work at Work Toolkit
Resources from HABRI:
- Read more research on the benefits of pets for workplace wellness here.
- Watch ‘The Woofice’, a fun and informative sketch depicting a pet-friendly workplace inspired by the hit show ‘The Office’, and download supporting materials here.
- Read about how COVID-19 changed the landscape for pets in the workplace here.
- Learn about more ways to be pet-friendly beyond allowing pets at work with the “10 Ways to Be a Pet-Friendly Workplace” infographic found here.
- Find the informative infographic “Now is the Time for Pets at Work” here.
 Junça-Silva, A. (2022). Friends with benefits: the positive consequences of pet-friendly practices for workers’ well-being. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 19(3), 1069.
 Wilkin, C. L., Fairlie, P., & Ezzedeen, S. R. (2016). Who let the dogs in? A look at pet-friendly workplaces. International Journal of Workplace Health Management, 9(1), 96-109.
 Colarelli, S. M., McDonald, A. M., Christensen, M. S., & Honts, C. (2017). A companion dog increases prosocial behavior in work groups. Anthrozoös, 30(1), 77-89.