Practicing veterinarians and other animal health professionals across the country now have the opportunity to become officially certified in the science of the human-animal bond.
The Human Animal Bond Research Institute (HABRI) and the North American Veterinary Community (NAVC), have teamed up together to develop a new certification course for practicing veterinarians, veterinary nurses and veterinary practice managers – Human Animal Bond Certified.
So many veterinarians started their professional journey in large part because of their close relationship with an animal – the human-animal bond. From a HABRI survey, we know that pet owners rely on their veterinarians to deliver scientific information on the human health benefits of pets. With this new certification, vets now have an opportunity to improve their practices by becoming that trusted resource on the human-animal bond.
When 2,000 pet owners were educated about the human health benefits of pet ownership:
- 92% said they were more likely to maintain a pet’s health, including keeping up with vaccines and preventive medicine
- 89% said they were more likely to maintain a pet’s health, including regular check-ups with a veterinarian
- 88% said they were more likely to provide a pet with higher quality nutrition
- 51% said they were more likely to purchase pet health insurance
- 62% said they were less likely to skip visits to the veterinarian
- 89% said they were more likely to take better care of a pet
Veterinarians, already viewed favorably by 97% of pet owners, are also viewed as important messengers for scientific information on the health benefits of pets, especially by millennial pet owners:
- 66% of pet owners (77% of millennials) would have a more favorable view of their veterinarian if they discussed the health benefits of the human-animal bond with them
- 61% of pet owners (74% of millennials) would be more likely to visit their veterinarian if they discussed the health benefits of the human-animal bond with them
Through a series of online modules assembled by experts in the field of human-animal interaction science, veterinarians, veterinary nurses and veterinary practice managers can now develop a formal understanding of the research demonstrating the health benefits of pet ownership and human-animal interaction, and learn how best to use that knowledge in the practice of veterinary medicine.
Get The Certification, Get The Advantage
Today, 98% of pet owners consider their pet to be an important part of the family. As the body of scientific research on the human-animal bond continues to grow, more pet owners are looking for ways to strengthen their relationship with their furry, finned and scaly family members.
The next thing pet parents are going to be looking for is a veterinarian that can prove they understand and support the relationship they have with their pet/fur baby. Veterinarians that complete the course will earn an official Human-Animal Bond Certification from the NAVC Learning Academy and HABRI.
To earn the Human-Animal Bond Certification, candidates:
- Must be a practicing veterinarian, technician or practice manager with a minimum of two years of experience
- Complete the work-at-your-own pace course
- Pass the Human-Animal Bond Certification exam
Certified Human-Animal Bond practitioners will receive:
- A certificate to display in your practice and online
- Exclusive Human-Animal Bond Certification marketing tools and materials to help you attract new pet owners to your practice via social media and online
Get Human-Animal Bond certified and set your practice apart.
Study the science.
Earn the certification.
Support the bond.